Here’s a few sermon discussion questions to help our church love God by applying his Word to our lives. Feel free to use these questions for personal reflection, alongside your family, within a smaller discipleship/journey group, or even within the context of your Life Group. If you missed Sunday’s sermon from John 1:19-34, you can view online here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8m9RnqBTJg
Pastor Aaron opened his sermon with the legacy questions of, “how will people remember you? & what will be the testimony of your life?” Potential TPQ’s (Thought Provoking Questions) could be: How would you answer those questions honestly? Have you given much thought to what you would want shared, sung and preached at your funeral?
In the sermon, Pastor Aaron mentioned that some of us can feel the weight and responsibility of saving people. While we might not confess that outright, our underlying motivations and actions towards sharing the gospel might paint a different picture. A few questions here:
- Why is it a liberating truth that we are called to be the testifier and not the savior?
- How have you seen yourself try to be the savior (or play the role of the Holy Spirit) as you shared the gospel with someone? Thoughtful honesty is helpful here!
- What type of testifier might you be? (bearing witness to a historical Jesus, a refreshment from a bad experience in religious circles, a non threatening person someone can ask questions to)
“Behold, The Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!” – John 1:29b
- What are deep truths of Christ’s sacrifice can you behold this week?
- Romans 3:25, Heb 2:17, 1 John 2:2, 4:10, 1 Peter 2:24, 3:18
- Can you think of some of the OT shadows that were fulfilled in Christ being the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world?
- Gen 22:8, Isaiah 53:7, Lev 14:25, 16:15-22
- Revelation 5:6-13, 7:17, 21:22-23, 22:1-3
- Do people connect your life with Jesus? Not with a church, or that you’re a religious/morally good person but are you connected primarily with Jesus?
- Relational Evangelism Circles – where you live, work, and play!
- Identify 3 people in each of these circles.
- Pray for them often (daily, every other day, weekly at your Life Group or Journey Group.)
- Identify one way you can bring someone from your community into their life.
- Trust the Lord to share the gospel with them this winter (and think practically how you might do that.)
John Memory Verses:
- John 1:1
- John 1:14
- John 1:29
Next week’s passage:
- John 1:35-51